Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission are twin organizations which form the core of a worldwide spiritual movement (known as Ramakrishna Movement or Vedanta Movement), which aims at the harmony of religions, harmony of the East and the West, harmony of the ancient and the modern, spiritual fulfillment, all-round development of human faculties, social equality, and peace for all humanity, without any distinctions of creed, caste, race or nationality.
RAMAKRISHNA MATH is a monastic organization for men brought into existence by Sri Ramakrishna (1836-1886), the great 19th century saint of Bengal who is regarded as the Prophet of the Modern Age.
RAMAKRISHNA MISSION is a registered society in which monks of Ramakrishna Math and lay devotees cooperate in conducting various types of social service mainly in India. It was founded by Sri Ramakrishna’s chief apostle, Swami Vivekananda (1863-1902), one of the foremost thinkers and religious leaders of the present age, who is regarded as ‘one of the main molders of the modern world’, in the words of an eminent Western scholar A. L. Basham.
Although Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission are legally and financially separate, they are closely inter-related in several other ways and are to be regarded as twin organizations.
The Math and the Mission together have more than 180 branch centres all over India and in different parts of the world.
The Headquarters of these centres are situated in Belur Math. All branch centres of Ramakrishna Math come under the administrative control of the Board of Trustees, whereas all branch centres of Ramakrishna Mission come under the administrative control of the Governing Body of Ramakrishna Mission.
Goals and Objectives
The main goals and objectives of these twin organizations, based on the principles of Practical Vedanta, are:
- To spread the idea of the potential divinity of every being and how to manifest it through every action and thought.
- To spread the idea of harmony of religions based on Sri Ramakrishna’s experience that all religions lead to the realization of the same Reality known by different names in different religions. The Mission honours and reveres the founders of all world religions such as Buddha, Christ and Mohammed.
- To treat all work as worship, and service to man as service to God.
- To make all possible attempts to alleviate human suffering by spreading education, rendering medical service, extending help to villagers through rural development centres, etc.
- To work for the all-round welfare of humanity, especially for the uplift of the poor and the downtrodden.
- To develop harmonious personalities by the combined practice of Jnana, Bhakti, Yoga and Karma.
The motto of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission is:
” ATMANO MOKSHARTHAM JAGAT HITAYA CHA “
. “For one’s own salvation, and for the welfare of the world”.
Under Swacch Soch Abhiyan, About 50 colleges in Dakshina Kannada & Udupi Districts will be selected and through Seminars … Continue reading Launching Swacch Soch Abhiyan on 4th December
Ramakrishna Mission, Mangaluru will be launching the 5th & final phase of Swacch Bharath Abhiyan on 2nd December. Details … Continue reading Launching 5th Phase of Swacch Bharath Abhiyan
On the occasion of 125th Birth Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda’s historic address at the World Parliament of Religions at … Continue reading Panchamada Inchara – Viveka Smrithi
Mangalore Ramakrishna Math is organizing a special programme to commemorate 125 years of Swami Vivekananda’s historic address at the … Continue reading Commemoration of 125th Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda’s Chicago Address
We shall be having the concluding Ceremony Programme of 4th Phase of Swacch Mangaluru Abhiyan at Ramakrishna Mission on … Continue reading Concluding Ceremony of 4th Phase of Swacch Mangaluru Abhiyan
Ramakrishna Mission, Mangaluru has set up a Vermicompost plant with support from MRPL as a Swacch Mangaluru Abhiyan initiative. … Continue reading Inauguration of Vermicompost Plant